Sunday, February 23, 2014

AHHHLASKA!! 2006 Fishing with my girl.


My wife Kathleen and I took a trip to Alaska in 2006 to try our hand at fishing. We hoped to view some mountains, rivers and animals. We rented a place on the Kenai River and did some fishing then took a drive south and did some more fishing. We had an incredible guide who really did us well. Nobody got seasick while fishing but we did get pretty wet one day. We took a drive up to the Russian to look at bears and take a hike-that was scary!

Here's proof.


I think this was just heading out of Anchorage looking south across the inlet.



 I feel compelled to point out every little thing on our trips. Here I am pointing to something I found exciting-no doubt my wife was thrilled!




Heading south almost every thing you see is photo worthy. Just one of MANY snow and ice covered mountain tops.



It's not a zoo, but on the way to the Kenai is a place where you can look at a bunch of animals, really cool. This is a herd of elk in the park.



Black-tail deer. Sitka variety.



I am a big elk hunter from Idaho-No way I could pass a nice photo of a decent bull.



Not the best pic of this caribou. I think we took a dozen pics of this guy and he always had another bull blocking his head!


Eventually you have to leave the animals behind and head on down the road. This is the sign to welcome you as you turn further south.



Our cabin we rented was great! Just a few steps from the world famous Kenai river. Here is Kathleen putting away some of our groceries while I, no doubt, perform manly tasks.



Like fishing!! I tried for a while but the fish weren't biting. Kathleen borrowed my pole and caught a fish the first cast-The bite was on!! So I took the pole back, and fished forever without a bite!




Early morning on the Kenai river.





We'll soon be fishing again, will we get one like this? This is the world record caught right here in Soldotna.





Saw this ol feller fly fishing on one of the dozens of creeks.


We headed out fishing in the shadow of Mordor.



Kathleen and I both caught a limit of halibut in a couple of hours. We can definitely recommend this activity.



Damn Pinks! I'll bet we caught hundreds of them. In the salt water they are good to eat but by the time they get to Soldotna they are turning and most locals use them for dog food.



I'm pretty to look at. That is an ugly fish!



Our guide, Gary, took us up river for some trout fishing for free(ish). Kathleen was pretty proud of this one. 



Now here's why we came to Alaska! Kathleen's first Silver Salmon. I took her a while to 'feel the bite' but she was soon catching tasty salmon fillets.



Some of our take from the trip.



The guys next door. It took them almost an hour to fill their limit. Probably could have been done even quicker if they had less beer.



Did somebody say...BEAR!!! he was interested in Salmon, not us.



There's no place like home..there's no place like home...



A picture adds 100 lbs. And sometime makes you look like a reject from 'The Beverly Hillbillies!'



I caught this one by floating a piece of yarn into his mouth. I filleted him and put him in my pocket. My wife was impressed with my wise choice to place a fish in my pocket in known bear territory.



A little further up the river.



 The Kenai river is mostly made up of glacial melt so it is always this beautiful color. I think that lot across the way is for sale. For a bzillion dollars!




How many thousands of places in Alaska look just a beautiful as this? Millions of thousands.



 I have saved hundreds of dollars sleeping in the airport. At the end of a fantastic fishing trip, even a couple of hours on the stinky floor isn't a downer.

The fishing was great, the fish tasted wonderful.


















No comments:

Post a Comment