Sunday, February 16, 2014

Latvia, The Land of Red Stags and Wild Boar

I went to Latvia in 2007 on business. I was there for about 4 months and really enjoyed the people although the community I was in (SALDUS) was a complete armpit. One of the local contractors leased us some heavy equipment, his name is Intz. Intz and I shared a couple of lengthy rides from Riga to Saldus/Broceni area and soon learned we both loved to hunt.It was during one of these rides that Intz first proposed that I hunt with his club in the fall for red stag and wild boars. Obviously I accepted his offer. Intz offered to loan me his personal 30-06. In Latvia a lot of hoops have to be jumped through to possess a firearm and Intz and his group got me all ready to go. 
Soon Intz and I were driving the back roads looking for the coordination point for the hunt.



 This is a photo of the hunters milling about before the hunt. Most were not to happy to see the Americanski. I have to say, many of the firearms looked BARELY usable. The men are a hardy lot but most of their equipment was 3rd rate at best. They may have been unimpressed to see me to begin with but they all warmed to me as the day went on. Eventually a couple of them even wanted to dance with me!(after consuming a LOT of vodka).


Prior to the hunt, the organizer/boss/leader introduces everyone and goes over the plan, the rules, the safety and the limits. Intz is second from left. This meeting dragged on for about a half an hour I got the impression that the boss was putting on a show for my benefit. Notice the dogs? I only hunted with dogs once prior to this, this was much better.



After the introduction, every hunter has to sign the roster of the hunt, it is a very legislated process. The hunters are then sent down a long road where they take up a stand and wait for the game. We all walk together, dropping a hunter every 100 yards or so as we go.



This was my place. The dogs were loosed about 1 mile straight ahead of me and I could not hear them at first but as time passed I could, faintly at first. I was at the end of the line but in the best spot. A small group of what I would call cows came from left to right moving quickly into, and out of, frame. Just behind them was a dink of a bull who stopped in the opening just behind the larger tree in the right center of the pic.The group was permitted to kill just one bull on this hunt so I let the small bull pass in hopes that a larger bull would soon follow. I think as many as 10 seconds passed when a shot rang out just to my right.



The hunter next to me had shot the bull! I moved to where he was and found several of the hunters standing about. Smoking, always smoking.  Eventually the group was all present and the work of dragging the bull to the vehicles began.



They used a pole tied to the bull because a rope bends and some people have to work harder than others. several men carried 2 rifles so that more men could pull. I have been apart of many successful hunts but these guys were REALLY excited!



Here I am with the successful hunter. This was the biggest stag harvested in many years! I am such an idiot! Looking back I am happy for him but on that day I was a bit jealous. See the dog? This dog and the others stayed at the stag and tore almost all of the hair off.



Later I was posted in an area where we hoped to see some boars. I had 3 of the piggies run past me at about 40 yards. I was ready! I took aim! We did not get any piggies. Blame me. I wish I would have been better prepared with a rifle I was more familiar with. I failed to ensure the slide was all the way forward on the semi-auto. By the time I discovered my mistake the piggies had disappeared.



Back at the camp they butchered the stag and everyone took some except me-I did not feel right to take it. Then they took all the innards and put them in a pot with some water, see the pot on the table? They boiled the guts for at least an hour and drank booze the whole time. Finally it was time to eat!!!Oh Man!! That was the second worst thing I ever put in my mouth! Now I know why they were drinking so much.



 10 or 12 men totally destroyed all of these bottles in less than 90 minutes!! Perhaps the most impressive feat I saw in Latvia. Latvians have an incredible ability to consume alcohol. No puking allowed.


These are a few of the smaller deer that can be found in the area. Some of these are large trophies for the breed. These hang on the wall of the camp and belong to all. The antlers from the stag were offered to me as a reminder of the kinsman-ship we shared but I refused. They belong in that lodge.

I intended to bring Intz to the states to hunt elk as my part of the bargain. Sadly, his business went under within a year and he has not been able to join me in America. I get e-mails from time to time from him but I am afraid we will never be able to renew the experience together.






No comments:

Post a Comment